This summer we are excited to become the first Boys & Girls Club in the nation to announce our partnership with Outschool. Outschool is a platform that will allow us to flip what online learning normally looks like and turn it into highly interest driven live sessions. Each week during our summer camp programming, we will offer 15-20 highly curated classes taught by our instructors as well as give our members special access to numerous classes taught by teachers from all over the world!
So How Does It Work? Flexible classes targeted at K-8 students will range from one-time 25 minute classes to ongoing weekly classes that range between 25-45 minutes in a variety of subjects and topics meant to engage K-8 kids.
- Little to no parent supervision or set up is required so busy parents working from home or taking care of younger children can rely on our team to engage and support your child and offer tech support when needed.
- Sign up for 25 minutes or for a few hours of daily programming focused on everything from literacy to fun enrichment topics!
- These multi-format classes will allow kids to balance their summers between playing outside and exploring their interests, getting social time with peers and building academic skills to make up for potential learning losses from COVID-19.
- We kept the pricing of our classes very affordable, in line with our mission and have been able to match families $50.00 registration for the 7 weeks of our virtual summer camp with a $200 scholarship. If this scholarship is exhausted, families who need additional support may apply for more Outschool credits through a BGCWPA financial aid application process as we raise funds and partner with others in the coming months to expand the program.
- This offer is not available to families who don’t register for our virtual summer camp.
“We are truly excited to offer these innovative classes and platforms at special pricing for our members and new families to BGCWPA this summer. All kids should be able to access high quality, relevant and engaging classes and parents need peace of mind that their children are making up for learning losses, engaged in safe activities and getting social time, said President & CEO Dr. Lisa Abel-Palmieri.” She continues, “we are proud to be one of the first out of school time organizational partners of Outschool and LiFT LMS. We are looking forward to partnering with school districts to offer these classes to their students as well.”
The full complement of virtual, highly engaging and interest driven classes will be released by June 1st. From “How to Make Awesome Animated Movies” to “Wings on Fire – Dragon Drawing,” stay tuned on how to give your child the most engaging summer yet right from your home! Visit our Outschool profile to check out what we are offering and the classes your children will have access to through this special partnership.
What About High School Students?
Teen programming including our Learn & Earn summer youth employment program, Career Works Programs, Career Works High and Artificial Intelligence Pathways Institute will run daily for 7 weeks in a blended learning model using the innovative learning management system, LiFT. BGCWPA is also the first Club in the United States to adopt this cutting edge platform to personalize learning for teens using a mastery based learning approach which takes each teen on an individual journey to accomplishing goals and building a virtual portfolio. There will be no charge for these programs, in fact, we pay the teens! Apply today for Learn & Earn or Career Works!
A mention of in-person summer day camp: to best meet the needs of our families and communities during this trying time, BGCWPA will still offer in-person summer programming at four of our Clubhouse locations for all self-reported essential personnel and all families starting June 29th however spots are limited. Our Estelle S. Campbell (Lawrenceville), Carnegie, Northern Area (Millvale), and Shadyside Clubhouses will operate with a maximum of 45 registrations per Clubhouse to ensure the continued safety of our members, families and staff.
Only Estelle S. Campbell is currently operating; other locations will open if a minimum enrollment is reached.
Visit our summer camp page for regular updates about in-person summer day camp.