Our objective is to mentor and give elevated opportunities to teens in the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania’s BE GREAT: Career Readiness and Financial Literacy Program as well as our Teen Workforce Development Academy (TWDC). The TWDC and other career-focused programs prepare teens for college and careers through academic programming, company tours, internships, paid wages and opportunities to earn college or apprenticeship credits. Additional opportunities include visiting our Clubhouses to give “career talks” to groups of middle and high school students, plan an employee engagement activity with our younger school-age members such as tinker activities, sports or homework help. Additionally, supporting us with company EITC tax credits helps us provide memberships to every child in the Pittsburgh region, no matter if their family has the ability to pay.
Think Back: Do you remember the time someone believed in your abilities to excel in something? Do you remember the feeling of excitement that you felt when someone who you looked up to said “you can do this”?
Who was that person in your life who took the time to mentor you? Who talked with them about careers, called an employer on their behalf, or reviewed their resume. That person made a real impact in your life and attributed to your success. Many of our teens do not have access to people who are able to work with them in this capacity and they deserve it.
Give Back: That is where you come in! We can work together to build bridges for a bright future with our next generation! Together we can make a BIG impact!
You and your company can work with our BE GREAT or TWDC teens! We have a structured program that provides participants with a continuum of interactive services that include career readiness, financial literacy, educational support, mentoring, and employability training. Our teens want success and that is what we all want for them too!
Teen Program Opportunities:
Work with the individual Clubhouses and decide which of opportunities below work best for you to build a strong partnership and make a big impact.
- One or more representative from your company will tour one of our 8 Clubhouses and meet our teens and staff. You may give a presentation on your company, what your specific position entails (include your career path) and what the future holds for your company. (1 Day)
- Teen Tour of your facility. (1 Day)
- Meet with the teens one on one to learn about their interests and needs. (1 Day)
- Offer internship and/or shadow opportunities.
- Participate in one of our organization’s fundraiser each year through attendance and or sponsorship. (1 Day)
- Add a banner with your company’s logo at our Clubhouses and on our website to show our partnership.
- Provide a listing of concrete job types within your company and levels of education needed. This could be handed out either at our facility when you come in or when the teens tour your facility.
- Give the teens projections of future jobs industry wide and career path needed. This should be handed out or emailed to the teens.
- Give teens a “real-world learning” problem to solve through project-based learning.
Contact Eileen Stewart for more details.
Our City: Pittsburgh has seen rapid growth in the technology industry over the last few years. It is up to all of us to make sure we include all communities by introducing the youth in all Greater Pittsburgh areas to our companies and expose them to these exciting career opportunities! Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania have made it very easy for this inclusion to work. Please review the following ways we can work together to make Pittsburgh successful both economically and socially!