Careers with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania
Employment Type: Full-time
BGCWPA is a mission-based organization that hires employees that are recognized as leaders in their field with a passion for improving young lives. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits which allows our employees to maintain work/life balance. We serve more than 8,,000 young people annually through programs, services, and outreach. An affiliate of a national organization-Boys & Girls Clubs of America. We are one of the largest comprehensive out of school time providers in Allegheny & Somerset County.
As a member of the Advancement team, the Grants Coordinator reports to the Foundation & Government Relations Manager and assists in efforts to research, secure and track various aspects of foundation and government funding at BGCWPA. This is a position for a highly detail-oriented person with experience tracking important information and learning new data systems. Working in partnership with internal stakeholders, the Coordinator will help to identify appropriate funders, manage the grants calendar, and execute parts of a comprehensive funding plan including tracking results, and writing/submitting grant reports. Currently, active grants funding for BGCWPA includes local, regional, and national foundations, public and private funding sources from all levels of government, and Boys & Girls Clubs of America-related funding opportunities. The successful candidate gets along well with colleagues and enjoys interacting with leaders throughout the organization.
Research (Internal and External)
- Perform thorough research to identify funding sources (foundations, government entities) to provide support to BGCWPA’s various programs, services and outreach.
- Supports the Manager of Foundation & Government Relations with project management.
- Assists the Manager through research in building a robust pipeline of foundation and government support by developing strategies for grant opportunities based on similarities between the mission of prospective funders and BGCWPA’s identified strategic plans and priorities.
- Coordinates grant funder prospect research to proactively identify untapped funding sources, including new and ongoing sources, particularly those whose guidelines are a match for BGCWPA initiatives.
- Uses contact management systems and other processes to to track pertinent application and grant information, research and reporting.
- Serves as an important source of and conduit for information pertaining to all BGCWPA funders in relation to proposals/applications and all other communications.
- Works with BGCWPA and BGCA staff to provide information when opportunities arise where corporations providing pass through funds via Boys & Girls Clubs of America select BGCWPA as a recipient. Occasionally perform similar work in partnership with the Manager of Corporate & Community Relations in regard to local corporations independently supporting BGCWPA when those corporation’s funding process is complex or assistance is otherwise required. .
- Maintain a detailed tracking system related to the status of grants, including prospective grants, awarded grants, grants declined or tabled, and reporting deadlines
- Once a grant award is finalized, work with the Manager to create a process through which progress can be tracked, Informing department leads of their execution benchmarks and outcomes pertaining to the terms of each specific grant so that they are aware of what they need to implement and data to track to be as prepared as possible for reportables as well as deadlines. While ultimately the responsibility of leadership to ensure grants are executed effectively, this position has a role in working with staff and leadership to effectively communicate to ensure that each grant funded project or program has been initiated and meets conditions and expectations.
* Host quarterly meetings with department leads and executive leadership to ensure timeliness of deliverables, benchmarks and progress towards meeting the terms of the assigned grants are on track.
- Oversee the preparation, production, and submission of all required reports. This requires meeting with and retrieving information from leaders throughout the organization and will involve establishing schedules, engaging colleagues from across departments, setting of and adhering to deadlines, and clear communication that may require persistent follow up and engaging of leadership to ensure deadlines are met or appropriate timeline expectations are set with grantors
- Maintain comprehensive historical records of all documentation related to each grant.
- The candidate has an interest in nonprofit funding (advancement). This individual will have a learning mindset with strength in working off of a strategy to execute tasks independently.
- Experience in a nonprofit organization with some grant experience preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- The ability to learn and understand budgets
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (examples: nonprofit management, social work, English, PR, Journalism, project management – other fields may be considered)
- A proactive approach to problem-solving with appropriate decision-making skills
- Professional level verbal and written communications skills
- Very strong time management, organization, and project prioritization skills are a must
- Experience with Google Suite
- The usual and customary methods of performing the jobs function require the following physical demands: lifting & carrying up to 50 pounds, pushing, any/or pulling, climbing to include steps, balancing, stooping, standing, sitting, kneeling, crawling, crouching, and signification fine fingered dexterity. Ability to tolerate environmental conditions: air conditioning, heat, dust fumes, noise, close quarters, etc.
- Perform all additional duties and tasks assigned by leadership/supervisors.
Certifications and Clearances
CPR, Pediatric First Aid, Child Abuse, Criminal History, FBI clearance, NSOR certificate, PA Disclosure and Mandated Reporter certification required upon hire or newer then 6 months.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Our organization prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
I acknowledge that I have read and understand the above job description in its entirety and am capable of performing all of the stated requirements.