Careers with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania
Employment Type: Part-Time (10 month position – school year)
Hours: 15 hours/week
Compensation: Based on Experience
BGCWPA is a mission-based organization that hires employees that are recognized as leaders in their field with a passion for improving young lives. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits which allows our employees to maintain work/life balance. We serve more than 5,000 young people annually through programs, services, and outreach. An affiliate of a national organization-Boys & Girls Clubs of America. We are one of the largest comprehensive out of school time providers in Allegheny & Somerset County.
The Healthy Lifestyle Instructor’s role is to implement social-emotional learning and prevention programming, to include an intensive, evidence-based teen education program that promotes positive youth development through a social-emotional curriculum, community service learning and supportive relationships with adults, with the overall goal of healthy decision making. They will be responsible for developing materials and facilitating workshops on topics of health, wellness, and life-skills related to prevention and whole-person development. Ultimately, the Healthy Lifestyles Instructor will ensure students experience personal growth, improved self-esteem, and increased knowledge about healthy lifestyles.
- Utilize current education materials, related curriculum and resources; develop education materials as needed.
- Facilitate weekly educational workshops based on the Teen Outreach Program Curriculum that emphasize decision-making, body image, values, and roles and relationships for teens in schools.
- Provide supportive and fact-based education workshops to youth.
- Identify community based and governmental resources (i. e. medical and mental health care specialists) and refer clients to and advocate for the acquisition of resources on their behalf.
- Create a monthly calendar of activities/lesson plans and quarterly program outlines and plans.
- Submit monthly reports and attendance logs to the Program Manager/Coordinator, including inputting student data in the curriculum developer’s database.
- Serve as a liaison between the school/community partner and the Program Manager/Coordinator.
- Aid adolescents in planning service learning projects to better serve their communities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A commitment to the mission and programs of BGCWPA and Healthy Lifestyles.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Counseling, Public Health, or a related field; HS diploma or equivalent considered with additional experience.
- Experience teaching adolescents on topics related to skill building, health and lifestyle topics.
- Outstanding presentation and interpersonal skills both oral and written.
- An ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and manage time effectively independently with guidance from the supervisor.
- Must have a high level of confidentiality and professional integrity.
- Serve as a role model and trusted adult mentor for adolescents, while consistently demonstrating our core values.
- Strong time management, organization, and project prioritization skills are a must.
- Proficient in Google Suite.
- The usual and customary methods of performing the jobs function require the following physical demands: lifting & carrying up to 50 pounds, pushing, any/or pulling, climbing to include steps, balancing, stooping, standing, sitting, kneeling, crawling, crouching, and signification fine fingered dexterity. Ability to tolerate environmental conditions: air conditioning, heat, dust fumes, noise, close quarters, etc.
- Perform all additional duties and tasks assigned by leadership/supervisors.
Certifications and Clearances
CPR, Pediatric First Aid, Child Abuse, Criminal History, FBI clearance, NSOR certificate, PA Disclosure and Mandated Reporter certification required upon hire or newer then 6 months.
PA Staff Health Assessment and TB Test must be submitted upon hire and before start date please use the link below to access the form: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/docs/For-Providers/Documents/Child%20Care%20Forms/CD-322%20-%20Staff%20Health%20Assessment.pdf
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Our organization prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.