Career Works is an innovative and exciting employment and post-secondary preparation program that allows high school students to develop key skills for successful careers and explore various future career options. Students can explore the ways their passions can fit into their career path while engaging with their peers from across the Mon Valley and having active choices about their future with individualized success plans to fit each students’ needs. We offer dual-enrollment courses, paid internships, registered pre-apprenticeships, academic support, full-time career mentorship and post-program transition services. We make sure that our youth will be fully ready to succeed within today’s fast-paced job market!
The rapidly growing and high demand industries that our youth will learn about include careers in Information Technology, STEM, Healthcare, trades and construction. All youth who complete the program will earn industry-recognized credentials and/or a pre-apprentice certificate from the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, as well as a stipend for their regular participation. Each individual student will be trained on innovative technologies and have access to computers, in addition to receiving a laptop computer when they complete the program.
You may wonder how Career Works fits into the lives of our busy high school students? The program model offers a blend of interactive classes at our Career Works Centers during the school year and off-site immersive work experiences in the summer. We work with each applicant to ensure that our classes and placements will fit into your academic commitments throughout the school year.
As a Career Works student you will be able to take advantage of:
- Online training to remediate basic math/writing deficiencies or credit recovery
- Hands-on project-based learning focused on building soft skills and tech literacy
- Gamified training and simulations
- Job shadowing and internships during the summers and throughout the year
- Mentoring and career coaching/case management services
- Dual enrollment programming
- Community service experiences and personal and professional development classes
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s evidence based CareerLaunch and Money Matters curriculums
- Individualized support for high school matriculation and graduation
- Opportunities to expand your social network and have fun while exploring Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities
Career Works is a year-long after-school program running from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday from October 1, 2019 to June 1, 2020 with a snack/dinner provided.