For over 125 years the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania has been serving youth and influencing young people. One of our greatest accomplishments is that we have been able to adapt to the needs of our youth. Over the years the organization has underwent many changes including the addition of a Charter High School from 1999 – 2014 that served grades 9-12. This school was there when the youth needed us most and was career focused and successfully gave thousands of teens not only the education but the opportunities they needed to become a success.
Currently we are focused on the innovative physical activities and the nutritional needs of our youth in the Clubs, at a time when obesity levels are skyrocketing. We added a state of the art baseball complex, enhancing youth interest and participation in baseball and softball. This opportunity provides inner-city youth with opportunities to play, to learn and to grow, inspiring them to recognize their potential. And we added a juvenile justice program when our youth needed the inspiration and guidance to turn their lives around.
Specific acknowledgements include:
- Life’s Work Employer of the Year Award
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America Founding Member Award
- United Way of Allegheny County Outstanding Campaign Performance Award
- Agency Leadership in Volunteerism H.J. Heinz II Volunteer Award
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America Honor Award for Program of the Decade
- Pennsylvania Juvenile Justice Commission Community Based Program of the Year
- United Way of Allegheny County Award for Excellence