Reaction – Action Biochemistry Camp
06/08/2020 – 06/12/2020
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
In partnership with
Join Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania, in partnership with Thermo Fisher Scientific for Reaction-Action Biochemistry Camp! Students will spend 4 days on site doing hands-on projects that explore Biology and Chemistry concepts, best practices, communication and collaboration. Students will take a field trip to the University of Pittsburgh to interact directly with scientists, experience their daily life, and explore a real lab!
The week will conclude with a science fair where students will be recognized for their learning with a certificate from BGCWPA/Thermo Fisher Scientific and ceremony with their parents/guardians.
By the end of our one week camp, students aged 5th – 8th grade will be able to:
- Understand the standard definition of matter and demonstrate understanding by being able to list 3 examples of matter and 3 examples of what is not matter
- Understand density and how to calculate, demonstrated by a lab calculating the density of different objects and identifying them
- Understand conservation of matter by performing a simple reaction and measuring the mass before and after the reaction
- Understand that matter is made by atoms, by using Happy Atoms to create molecules and identify the molecule made
- Understand that atoms are made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons, demonstrated by making a model of an atom to take home
- Demonstrate knowledge of reactions create or require energy, by performing several experiments including making hand warmers (heat energy), bottle rockets (kinetic energy) and potato batteries (electrical energy)
- Observe that electrons have energy by looking at emission spectra of different gases
- Utilize the scientific method to design and perform their own experiment to present at the end of the week
- Be able to explain at least two career opportunities related to Chemistry or Biology
- Demonstrate an excitement and appreciation for how Biology/Chemistry interact in our world
Summer Robotics Camp
06/08/2020 – 06/12/2020 – Carnegie
06/22/2020 – 06/26/2020 – Estelle S. Campbell
07/20/2020 – 07/24/2020 – Shadyside
In partnership with
Join BGCWPA for Summer Robotics Camp, with hands-on activities that include programming, engineering, problem-solving and teamwork! As the sole provider of this Summer Robotics Camp in partnership with Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy, students can earn a certificate from Carnegie Mellon!