Careers with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania
Employment Type: Full-Time
Compensation: Based on Experience
BGCWPA is a mission-based organization that hires employees that are recognized as leaders in their field with a passion for improving young lives. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits which allows our employees to maintain work/life balance. We serve more than 12,000 young people annually through programs, services, and outreach. An affiliate of a national organization-Boys & Girls Clubs of America. We are one of the largest comprehensive out of school time providers in Allegheny & Somerset County.
The responsibility of the Maintenance Technician/Youth Driver is to provide maintenance to all clubhouse grounds, property and equipment in a safe and efficient manner. This includes assisting and ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, as well as following established BGCWPA policies and procedures.
This also includes working with Clubhouse Directors, Facility Engineer, and administration staff to assure a successful task completion of maintenance related activities. In addition, this position shares a dual role and is required to transport youth from school to the Clubhouse and for special events that are scheduled in the evenings or weekends. In addition, BGCWPA, may determine that transportation to home addresses may occur for specific Clubhouses and be a requirement per this role.
Responsibilities as a Maintenance Technician
- Have a working knowledge of general maintenance tasks to include entry level, painting, landscaping, plumbing, HVAC, and electrical.
- Repair and/or replacement of all fixtures and equipment found to be non-operational or faulty in any way.
- Respond to and address all clubhouse requests for maintenance in a timely manner. This includes all plumbing, electrical and HVAC equipment issues.
- Perform routine maintenance duties which includes but not limited to: cleaning and organizing maintenance area; the maintenance of tools, machinery and vehicles as scheduled.
- Perform salting of sidewalks when at the clubhouse in the event of icy conditions. Removal of leaves in entrance ways, and snow removal via shoveling at entry way when present at clubhouses.
- Perform landscaping duties requested by Facilities Engineer when not able to utilize a subcontractor..
- Assist other personnel in the performance of maintenance responsibilities.
- Report all accidents/incidents to Facilities Engineer
- Anticipate and act to maintain a safe environment.
- Incorporate safety/risk management standards into daily job performance.
- Ability to lift 50-75 lbs and able to bend and carry.
- Ability to travel to and from clubhouses daily
- Must have Act 33, Act 34, Act 151 and NSOR clearances on file and renewed annually.
Responsibilities as a Youth Driver
- Transport children and other passengers to and from program sites
- Obey all traffic laws
- Maintain a clean and mechanically sound bus/van at all times
- Ensure the safety of all students
- Verify permissions for children to enter
- Assist students with getting on and off the bus/van as needed
- Discipline children as needed to maintain a safe environment
- Perform inspections of the bus/van before and after each route
- Attend safety meetings as required
- Clearances Act 33, Act 34, Act 151 and NSOR letter.
- Mandated Reporter Certification within 45 days of hire
- Attend CPR, Pediatric First Aid training within the first 90 days of hire.
- Strong time management, organization, and project prioritization skills are a must
- Proficient in Google Suite.
- High School Graduate or equivalent required.
- Current/valid driver’s license required.
- Minimum of 2 years building maintenance experience preferred, but is not required.
- Commercial Driver’s License preferred
- Clean driving record with no at-fault accidents or traffic citations within the last five years.
- The usual and customary methods of performing the jobs function require the following physical demands: lifting & carrying up to 50 pounds, pushing, any/or pulling, climbing to include steps, balancing, stooping, standing, sitting, kneeling, crawling, crouching, and signification fine fingered dexterity. Ability to tolerate environmental conditions: air conditioning, heat, dust fumes, noise, close quarters, etc.
Certifications and Clearances
- CPR, Pediatric First Aid, Child Abuse, Criminal History, FBI clearance, NSOR certificate, PA Disclosure and Mandated Reporter certification required upon hire or newer then 6 months.
- PA Staff Health Assessment and TB Test must be submitted upon hire and before start date please use the link below to access the form: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/docs/For-Providers/Documents/Child%20Care%20Forms/CD-322%20-%20Staff%20Health%20Assessment.pdf
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Our organization prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.